Logo of High Salvington Mill Trust

High Salvington Mill Trust Limited

Furze Road, Worthing
a website for the members and supporters of High Salvington Windmill

Where are we?
Who are we?

Web References to the Windmill and Water Pump

Address Name Description Grade Listing Date
Furze Road DURRINGTON OR SALVINGTON MILL FURZE ROAD 1. 5406 (South Side) High Salvington Durrington or Salvington Mill (Formerly listed as The Mill) TQ 10 SW 23/69 11.10.49. II 2. Originally Durrington Mill but now usually called Salvington Mill, as it is actually in High Salvington which did not exist when the Mill was built. Post type with round house and fantail, (the round house modernised and windows inserted). Date 1700 over door. Timbers tarred. 3 sweeps intact, one missing, Machinery of the mill in working order. Listing NGR: TQ1227006666 II 11-OCT-1949

High Salvington Mill was added to the Listed Building Register in on 11th October 1949. Note how the entry states that the windmill has a fantail. We have found no other evidence to support this and there was no evidence of any fantail in the 1970s.

High Salvington Mill Trust was highly commended for the restoration of the Glynde wind pump, with a certificate collected by Robert Potts and Peter Casebow. Lady Caroline Egremont, on behalf of the judges said “This is one of the last surviving Sussex wind pumps, saved and restored by a dedicated, local volunteer work force. We admired the high standard of workmanship and the contribution to the local community of their windmill site with its long barn, granary and visitor facilities. This project really is highly commendable.”

Jesse James Ayling was born at East Preston in 1855, and was the son of James Ayling (b. 1824), a shepherd. He was a self-educated man, and his interest in Pitman's shorthand is reflected in some of the entries in the diary, and in the fact that he named his son, Frank Pitman. In 1886, when the diary was compiled, he was working the windmill at Hunston for Charles Hodson. He later worked the windmill at High Salvington, Durrington, and then, in 1897, took over the watermill at Terwick. He died in 1917, and is buried at Trotton.

HIGH SALVINGTON POST MILL in Sussex was the first mill to be insured against fire by "Royal Exchange Insurance" Policy no. 33161 dated 21/1/1757, and thus the first insured miller was Edmund DREWITT.

A windmill was recorded at Tarring manor c. 1285, (fn. 76) in 1396, (fn. 77) and in 1426, (fn. 78) but its site is unknown unless represented by either of the field-names Mill field and Millborough recorded west and north-west of the church. (fn. 79) There was a miller at West Tarring in 1772 (fn. 80) and 1822, (fn. 81) and two in 1798. (fn. 82) The site of the mill at Salvington mentioned in 1388 (fn. 83) may be represented by the field name Mill mead recorded there c. 1839; (fn. 84) the mill at High Salvington lay in Durrington parish.

Festival of British Composers #3

The Angmering Chorale
The Will Todd Band

Sat. 21st November 2020


Arundel Cathedral

Will Todd Passion Music
John Rutter Requiem

Christmas Concert

The Angmering Chorale
with local schools

Sat. 12th December 2020


The Angmering School

To advertise your local event in this space call 264409

High Salvington Mill Trust Limited
Company No. 4199780. Registered in England. Charity No. 1090637
Registered Office:
12 Furzeholme, Worthing,West Sussex BN13 3BS
This website was independently compiled on behalf of High Salvington Mill Trust.
Site managed by JT Best.
This site is designed to work best with screen sizes of 1024x768 pixels or greater and requires cookies to be enabled
Tested with
Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome and Explorer.